I scoured the web in search of a solution. The 0x80070057 error is not new to Windows Updates so there was a lot of old and useless info on the web about it. I needed a solution specific to the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update. Desperate I tried the old solutions which included everything from
editing the registry to changing system policies. Nothing worked, grrr. I was getting very frustrated. Finally I stumbled across the solution on the Microsoft support forum. It was so easy I didn't think it would work but alas my Windows Anniversary Update is installed.
Solution to the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition error 0x80070057Ok so here goes...
- Run the Windows 10 Update assistant again.
- The files should appear to be downloading again but the progress will go really fast this time since the files are already on your computer.
- When it gets to 100% downloaded IMMEDIATELY disable Wi-Fi or whatever your network connection.
- With your internet connection disabled the install should now hang up at 2% status.
- After 30 seconds re-enable your internet connection.
- The install should proceed to install properly now.